- 1st among the Northeastern Universities
- 5th among all State Universities
- 18th among all Universities excluding the Agricultural Universities
- 27th among all State and Central Universities
- 43rd among all Institutions (State & Central Universities, All Technical Institutes, All Management Institutes etc.)
- Youth Scientist Award by Indian National Science Association (1978)
- NASA's Public Service Group of Achievement Award (1986)
- Shanti Swaroop Bhatnagar Award (1994)
- Kamal Kumari National Award for science and technology (2003)
- Axford awrd by Asia Oceania Geoscience Society (2014)
- Asom Ratna (2015), highest civilian award of Government of Assam
- Padma Shri in 2017 by Government of India
Bromination is one of the most important transformations in organic synthesis and can be carried out using bromine and many other bromo compounds. However, due to the hazardous nature of bromine, enormous growth has been witnessed in the past several decades for the development of solid bromine carriers.
GU researcher Pradeep Phukan and his collegues explore more.
Ref. : Chem. Rev., Article ASAP
GU Professor, Mohan Chandra Kalita and his colleagues from IIT, Guwahati, Tezpur University, and Federal University Rio de Janeiro, Brazil are aiming on an Integrated Biorefinery Approach towards production of sustainable fuel and chemicals from Algal biobased systems through their joint Indo-Brazil Research Collaboration under the Bilateral Scientific and Technological Cooperation between the Republic of India and the Republic of Brazil.
Dr Rita Moni Baishya, Associate Professor of Hindi, GU has been awarded the Hindi Writer National Award, 2015 for her book 'Lohit Kinare'.
The award is given by Central Hindi Directorate under the Department of Higher Education under the Ministry of Human Resource Development, to a Hindi Writer from a non-Hindi Speaking area. The award carries Rupees One Lakh and a Citation.
'Lohit Kinare' is a collection of ten selected short stories written by Sneh Devi, Nirupama Borgohain, Mamoni Roisom Goswami, Manorama Das Medhi, Purabi Barmudoi, Arupa Patingia Kalita, Rita chaudhury, Anuradha Sharma Pujari, Monikuntala Bhattacharjee, and Mouchumi Kandali. The short stories were written originally in Assamese which are edited and translated into Hindi by Dr Baishya.The book has been published by Navachetan Prakashan, Delhi.